Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bring on the Desert Foxes

Algeria vs USA

I'm all with his strategy in the above link.  Attack from the get go and hope Algeria finds themselves too stretched out playing with three forwards.  But that's always easier said than done. 

I don't know what else to say.  Win and they move on.  Lose and they're on their way back to the States.  I don't think most people predicted the situation Group C would be in by the last game.  And no one would have predicted such a strong game by Algeria against England.  This seemed like the easiest game in the group stage to predict.  But Algeria has only been gaining confidence.  So this leaves it all up in the air for me. And apparently for everyone on Team USA.

I like his first lineup here.  I'm curious to see what Buddle can bring to the game aside from a few chuckles by me whenever the German announcers say his name with that hard "t" sound.   

Fun fact: here's another preview that gives a little background on Algeria's previous World Cup appearances.  For shame, West Germany and Austria!  (More on that disgraceful performance can be read about here.)

Another fun fact: Look for a battle of teammates.  USA's Michael Bradley and Algeria's Karim Matmour play together for Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Bundesliga.

Not-so-fun-fact: Since the 1950 World Cup, the United States have lost all of their third and final matches in the opening group stage.

Prediction time: Team USA comes out slow as usual and finds themselves down 1-0 quickly with another defensive lapse, but comes back once again to win 2-1.  I hope.  But what the hell do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment