Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wir sind zurück in Köln

(We're back in Cologne.)

Truth be told, we've been back for a few days now.  We're still walking around like zombies.  It seems like each time it takes a little longer to get over the jet lag. (Note the time this entry is being written!)

That was a much needed break.  We visited a lot of friends and family, I spoke very little German and we gorged ourselves on food we can't find over here.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to see everyone we wanted to.  I guess there's just never enough time for that. 

I've been trying to think about what I would write in the first entry since returning.  I still don't know.  In some ways, it didn't feel like I was gone all that long.  At first it sort of felt like the only change was the weather.  One day it was summer, the next winter.  In between was some long dream about living in Germany.

But the more we drove around, the more we noticed something rather unsettling.  Shops, restaurants, even some big name retailers are closing up. I suppose had I not moved, this would have seemed more gradual and not as noticeable.  Instead, it seemed like entire shopping centers were dark.  And the number of guys waving signs on the street corners advertising store closings and liquidations have certainly multiplied. It felt like some sort of alternate reality.  Everything's familiar, but just a little different.

What else felt different?

Commercials.  Holy cow.  The amount of commercials and the frequency of commercial breaks in the US are staggering.  It always felt like a lot before but I could tolerate it.  Now, however, I found both the TV and radio nearly unbearable. 

Gas.  Wow is that cheap.  No wonder we keep driving everywhere in the US.  I had done the math before when in Europe on vacation.  But no matter how expensive it seemed, it was always vacation and I wouldn't dwell on the price so much.  A full tank of gas over here can cost you nearly $100 (yes, that's in dollars).  I'm not sure we paid more than $30 to fill up the car in Chicago.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  Those of you complaining about the rising cost of gas in the US, I think you need to reexamine your priorities. 

Customer service.  Ok, at times I started to find the overly cheerful American sales clerk or waiter a little annoying.  Still, I'll take that any day over his German counterpart who seems to feel I am interrupting his work day by asking to purchase something. 

Here's some photo highlights from the trip.  Unfortunately, I didn't get that all important shot of deep dish pizza.  By the time I thought of taking a picture, it was already devoured.



View of the Chicago River from Michigan Avenue bridge



John Hancock building covered in fog



Ice skating in Millenium Park



Water Tower on Michigan Avenue



Italian Beef sandwich



Menu from typical hot dog shop



The double char dog with everything.  By "everything" I mean "no ketchup." Also note: No fries. Chips.



Chicken burrito, rice and refried beans from Taco Village in Des Plaines. Six months ago, I would have finished that no problem.  Unfortunately, I could only finish about three-fourths. Awesome.



You don't need to go to Germany for a German Christmas market.



However, I guarantee you the Currywurst is better in Germany.

Complete with actual Germans working at the market!



One last shot of the market and Picasso statue in Daley Plaza.


I've also uploaded some much asked for photos from Thanksgiving.  They aren't great shots, but you can get an idea of what it is all about.  Food.  (Its also about family, but I wanted to keep this somewhat private!)  Click on the Thanksgiving entry below to see them.

And last but not least, a hearty "Wilkommen" to a newly arrived expat and fellow blogger in Frankfurt.  You can follow her adventures using the link to the right.  Click on "Natural Habitat" to see what she's got to say.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, danke!

    Great photos of Chicago (mit German Christmas market!)...I love that city. And oh man, chicken burrito. Before I left for Germany I gorged myself on as much Mexican food as I could. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Phil. I too am frustrated about our gas consumption. We have a lot to learn in that respect from the Europeans.
    Kathryn Janicek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo! Great blog :) I am an American who just picked up and randomly moved to Europe last year too. I am living in Munich now. I just started blogging about my adventures...I loved your blog, maybe you will love mine too?!

    http://i-wanted-an-adventure.blogspot.com/

    I came back to America for Christmas but when I get back I'll start applying for jobs as an English teacher! Hope it works out for me like it has for you :) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete