Monday, September 7, 2009

Mystery Building

I can't be the only person to notice this. Then again we live in Merkenich, and that's quite a ways from central Cologne. Nevertheless, for about the last week I've been keeping an eye out on a development just across the river from us. Leverkusen is directly across the Rhine from us. I only know three things about Leverkusen:
  1. It is the home of Bayer AG, one of the world's largest pharmaceutical manufacturers, and the reason you probably won't catch me dipping my toes in the river.
  2. Their football squad, Bayer Leverkusen, is much better than Cologne's.
  3. They seem to be building a giant video wall.

Check out these images from our 'penthouse' view. This is looking southeast.







I probably started to notice this over a week ago. I've seen the building frame going up since I first arrived. One day while heading home on the U-Bahn I could have sworn I saw it change colors. But I only got fleeting views between trees or buildings. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been lit up at night nor was it on during this past weekend. For now it just appears to be cycling through colors or patterns. Can't wait til I get to look out my window and see ads for aspirin all day and night.

We'll probably make our way across the bridge sometime this week to see what the heck that thing is all about. Until then, feel free to contribute your own theories below.

No comments:

Post a Comment