Wednesday, September 30, 2009

101 Damnations


For Cubs, it's 'Wait 'Til Next Year: 101st edition' -- chicagotribune.com

Posted using ShareThis



One of the good things about leaving Chicago behind is to let things like the Cubs pass without much notice.  I've quietly watched their season slip by from thousands of miles away with a small MLB widget on the computer.  In true Cub fashion, they made a little surge mid-season only to fall flat on their face and, as usual, well out of contention.  

Sure, they've thrown a few curveballs the last few years, reaching the playoffs a couple of times.  But those last two seasons have left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've lost a lot of desire to follow the team on a daily basis.  My moving this year made things a whole lot easier. 

Somehow, seeing them fall apart this year was a little reassuring.  Life is back to normal.  Yes, I know, a real fan wants to see their team succeed each year.  And I do want to see them make it.  I hope it happens in my life time, I really do.

But the expectations that have been created since 2003 have just been too much.  It has brought out the worst in the fan base as well as the organization.  From the rabid, snarling fans booing ever minute mistake to the jacked-up ticket prices available at the team's own scalping re-sale facility, it just isn't what it used to be.  Let's not even think about all those terrible signings.  I know, baseball is a business.  I guess it just took longer to catch up with the Cubs.  Here's hoping that this year's slip-up will give everyone a moment to calm down a little bit while the organization once again tries to put it all together. 

This was a bit overplayed the last two seasons.  But always appropriate at this time of year. 



P.S. I did not cut the video - it is here more for the song by Eddie Vedder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment