Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is it too late to seek asylum here?

I probably had a shot at securing that during the previous administration.  After seeing this video via a friend's Facebook post, I just wanted to crawl under a big blanket of embarrassment. I applaud political activism when there's actual thought behind it. But c'mon people, a little research goes a long way.



Why do I always feel the need to apologize for such ignorance on behalf of my fellow countrymen? CNN International is pretty bad, but I'm glad there's no Fox News available on our system here. 

From the politically challenged we now turn to the politically unenthusiastic. Here's what's going on in advance of Germany's national election. (I want to be tired of all the "Yes We Can" parodies but the one mentioned in that article was pretty good.) We tried watching the debate a bit but my German comprehension is no where near good enough to follow a political discussion. From the looks of it, I didn't miss any fireworks. In the interest of equal time, here's what the other parties had to say. What a mess. You know what? Scratch that thought about seeking asylum.

Everyone I talk to here seems pretty disenchanted with the current government.  That said, they all seem resigned to another four years of the same situation.  The more I think about it, the more this all reminds me of 2004.  It is probably too late but you can change things, people.  Get out there and get organized.  More importantly, get out and vote.  And make sure your friends and family do as well.

On a lighter note, I now make my last mention of FC Köln's season unless there's actually something positive to mention.  They are 0-1-4.  5 games and not a single win.  If I read correctly, one of the local papers are already calling for the firing of the head coach.  I suppose it is only a matter of time.  I'd say "Go Bears" but that's not really working for me either right now.  I hate to repeat myself, but again, what a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment