Monday, August 24, 2009

The rumors of my (blog's) death have been greatly exaggerated

... or so to paraphrase Mark Twain.

Sorry I've been gone for a bit. Enjoying summer as much as possible while still attending school everyday. I haven't run out of topics. I have a mess of ideas to put down here when I've got the time. In the meantime, here's a quick one I've been wanting to start up.

I just finished up my second session of school at the Volkshochschule (VHS) today. It is located in Sulz. It's a nice neighborhood in the southwest part of town. Nearby is the University of Köln. I think I read over 40,000 students attend. It gives the neighborhood a younger feel. During breaks at the VHS I usually walked around a few blocks in pursuit of fresh air and an occasional coffee. For weeks I've been wanting to take a few photos to post here but I never got around to it. Since today was my last regular day in Sulz, I decided I had little choice.

You'll see English words everywhere here. Nearly everyone speaks at least a little bit of English and I guess somehow using it in ads makes products seems cooler. Here's a few examples of ill-advised uses of the language, henceforth referred to as "Germlish." Your opinion may vary.


Arson Hairfactory. Someone please check this guy's insurance policy.


Sorry for the lo-quality shot here. You may have to click on the image for a larger photo in order to get the "joke." If you don't get it, you didn't miss anything. I pass this each day on the way to class.

No gross misuse of English here. But I think "nerd" in English = "nerd" in German.

2 comments:

  1. These are bloody brilliant! Haven't stopped giggling about the 'erotic shop!' Hahahahahaha! Did you pick up on the other play on Arson?! Don't know if you guys use the word 'arse' to describe your bottom but I thought the 'Arse n hair factory was a bit of a giggle too! :) Hello sir, back, sack n crack wax today?! Great name! A friend of mine (also called Phil!) has a fab name for a hairdressing salon...'Finger me Bob!' Marvellous! Sounds like you're having lots of fun! Keep the news coming! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary thing is, I just saw a second Arson Hairfactory on Sunday, so we've got the making of a chain here. I'm ashamed at myself for not thinking about the other meaning you mentioned. That's even better.

    ReplyDelete