Monday, April 20, 2009

The countdown begins

On July 1st, 2009 I will be moving from Chicago to Cologne, Germany. Three years ago, I had very little knowledge about day to day life in Germany. Frankly, I never thought much of visiting the country. And Cologne? For someone with little to no sense of smell, cologne was something I was always afraid of overusing before going on a date.

By mid-June I will have quit a solid, well paying job as a video editor. A job that, despite the economy, granted me a bonus this year on top of a small raise. Soon I will have to pack what items I deem necessary and then decide what to do with the rest. Then it is off to a place I am not familiar with and a language that I am only just beginning to learn. And oh yeah, one more thing: somewhere along the way I have to try to find a job.

I have started this blog to document my transition and assimilation into a new culture. I hope to share with you my experiences - the good and the not so good. I also look forward to hearing from you. That's right, I expect some work out of you as well. If you've made a similar move, what was your experience like? And for those of you living in Cologne, feel free to pass along any recommendations.

Of course I won't be completely alone in this endeavor. Actually, that's the whole reason for this move. But I'll save that for upcoming entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment