Friday, June 12, 2009

In which I voluntarily become unemployed

Get rid of clothes: check.
Donate old books: check.
Sort through boxes of odds and ends: check.
Quit work: check.

Wow, we've gotten quite a bit done this week but I'm still a little worried. There's an awful lot of packing ahead of us. Still, we managed to get rid of a lot of things. I am sure more will be thrown out before I'm gone.

Sorry for the delay in writing. I had a feeling it would be like this. I picked Her up last week at the airport. We've got that down to a science. I leave work a half hour early, drive to the airport and park the car. By the time I walk inside, she's pretty much walking through the gate. I am not sure I'll ever get over what a great feeling that is when we finally meet up again. The visits back and forth are worth it if only for that first hug at the airport.

We've spent a lot of this past week going through the checklist above. We've also managed to squeeze in a little time for fun. Last Friday we went to see the new film "Up." I definitely recommend it. Maybe it was just the timing of the visit, but the opening of the movie really hit me hard. I don't want to go into too much detail and ruin it for you. Just make sure you catch it while it is still out at the theater.

Saturday morning was my last German lesson here in the States. If anyone ever needs a recommendation for a teacher in the Chicago area, I've got a great one for you. Later that evening we visited some friends and enjoyed some Lou Malnati's pizza. Wow, that's going to be difficult to give up deep dish pizza. Sunday we drove up to Wisconsin to visit my cousin. I locked my keys in the car. I don't think I had ever done that before. Word to the wise: don't do that in Wisconsin. Local law enforcement is not allowed to break into your car.

She stayed in and got caught up on some sleep and relaxation during the week while I had to work. Yes, work. It'll be a long time before I get involved in that again. Yesterday was my final day at work. It was an odd week with my last day looming. I tried to wrap up any open projects (rather unsuccessfully), and I consciously did my best to avoid anything new (also rather unsuccessfully). Everyone at work pitched in and we had a little party at lunch time. She was able to come in for the party. I think it was a lot of fun for everyone to finally meet Her. She probably enjoyed it as well because I became the butt of many jokes.

There was a ton of food. Brats, potato salad, potato pancakes, (notice a theme?), dessert. Oh, and beer. Thank goodness for the beer. It was a pretty crappy morning at work, one that reminded me of another reason why I'll be glad to be done working. But the beer worked it's magic and after lunch I was able to settle down and quickly knock out a half-assed project that satisfied the most insistent, stubborn person I've ever had the non-pleasure of working with.

Once that was done we walked through the office and said our goodbyes. It was still a few hours early but I just felt like a big distraction for everyone else. Plus, there was really nothing left for me to do. It felt pretty good to walk out of there. I was just surprised that I got a little choked up at the end. But for all the bad feelings I have had over the years at work, it was rarely with the people I worked with everyday. I will miss you guys. Others not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment